Thursday, November 23, 2006

5 great lesbian novels

...according to me.

1. Affinity- Sarah Waters

This book haunted me, I couldn't put it down. It wasn't as well received as 'Tipping the Velvet' amongst those whom I know have read them both, but 'Affinity' just gripped and saddened me, and that sense of sorrow and loss that I felt at times while reading it captured my heart more than the quirky more upbeat (if only just at times!) 'Tipping the Velvet'.


2. Written on the Body- Jeanette Winterson

The language of this prose novel is sublime, Winterson is a true wordsmith who really knows her craft. This tale of desire and longing is truly spellbinding.


3. Beneath the Blonde- Stella Duffy

The third Saz Martin thriller hooks you right at the start and keeps you reading- this is a one-sitting book, or at least you'll want it to be. Like some of her other titles, it's also partially set in New Zealand.


4. She Came to the Castro- Mary Wings

I like my lesbian detective thrillers (don't we all). The fourth Emma Victor novel is a fun ride, Wings' wit is acerbic, and I can never quite figure it all out 'til the end, which is a big plus in the sometimes jaded genre of the crime novel.


5. Fanny- Erica Jong

Not strictly a lesbian novel in the separatist sense, Erica Jong still tickles and thrills with this lusty, bawdy sapphic update of 'Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure.'

No comments: